SLEEP DENTISTRY SOLUTIONS
Serving Burlington, Oakville, Hamilton And Mississauga.
New Patients & Referrals Always Welcome!
What Is Snoring And Sleep Apnea?
Snoring and sleep apnea are two related but distinct sleep disorders that can significantly affect an individual’s sleep quality and overall health. Here’s an overview of each condition:
- Definition: Snoring is the loud, often repetitive sound that occurs when airflow is partially blocked during sleep. It is caused by the vibration of tissues in the throat, including the soft palate and uvula.
- Causes: Snoring can result from various factors, including relaxed throat muscles, obesity, alcohol consumption, sleeping position, and nasal congestion. It’s more common in older individuals and men.
- Impact: While snoring itself is generally harmless, it can disrupt the sleep of both the snorer and their bed partner. Frequent, loud snoring may be a sign of an underlying sleep disorder like sleep apnea.
- Definition: Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder characterized by repeated interruptions in breathing during sleep. These interruptions, called apneas, can last for seconds to minutes and may occur multiple times throughout the night.
- Types: There are two primary types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): This is the most common type, where the throat muscles relax excessively during sleep, leading to airway blockage.
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA): Less common, CSA is caused by a failure of the brain to send the appropriate signals to the muscles that control breathing.
- Symptoms: Common symptoms of sleep apnea include loud snoring, choking or gasping during sleep, excessive daytime sleepiness, morning headaches, difficulty concentrating, and irritability.
- Health Risks: Untreated sleep apnea can lead to serious health issues, including high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and an increased risk of accidents due to daytime sleepiness.
Sleep Dentistry Solutions For Snoring And Sleep Apnea In Burlington
At Appleby Dental Professionals Panthera D-SAD dental appliances are use for the treatment of snoring and/or obstructive sleep apnea. Digitally printed in medical-grade nylon, they are lightweight, low-profile, comfortable, and durable.
Why Panthera Sleep?
Light-Weight: More room for the tongue results from minimal mouth bulk. The patient can seal their lips, speak, and drink.
Easy To Clean: Retains a clean white appearance.
No metal components, single-material device with titration rods: Strongly constructed, with little chance of breaking and little chance of swallowing or aspirating metal pieces.
Contact Us Today To Schedule An Appointment!
Request An Appointment With Your Family Dentist Today
At Appleby Dental Professionals, we always welcome new patients of all ages to our practice and referrals. Contact us now to start booking your appointment at our dental office in Burlington.