We all know that brushing and flossing are a must, yet many people don’t understand the importance of a proper technique. Only if you brush and floss correctly will you maintain healthy gums and teeth, so make sure you consider the following:
- Toothbrushes come in various shapes and sizes, including small ones for toddlers and large, adult-sized brush heads. It would help if you looked for a soft-bristled toothbrush, and its shape and size must easily fit into your mouth while providing you with enough room to access every tooth and area.
- The duration of your brushing routine matters and must be done for at least two minutes each time. Brushing and flossing must be done twice a day.
- Brush gently. There is no need to brush your teeth aggressively as this can damage your gums. Always brush gently, as this is an effective way to remove plaque and bacteria.
- Change your toothbrush every 3-4 months. A worn-out toothbrush is inefficient as its bristles will no longer be able to do their job, so swap out your toothbrush every few months.
- Be mindful of the toothpaste you use. Look for an ADA-approved toothpaste with the right amount of fluoride to help protect your teeth from decay.
What is the proper brushing technique?
Your toothbrush should be at a 45-degree angle while brushing your teeth, as this is the optimal way to remove the most plaque. Using a gentle back and forth motion, brush every tooth surface and ensure you reach all surface areas, including the chewing surface and the back of your teeth. Brushing along the gum line is also important as this area is especially susceptible to bacterial buildup. A proper brushing routine should include the tongue, so don’t forget to brush or scrape your tongue to eliminate bacteria.
Flossing is an equally important part of a proper oral hygiene routine, as this process removes plaque stuck between your teeth. A toothbrush cannot reach these areas, so unless plaque is removed through flossing, you may experience tartar buildup, cavities, and other dental concerns. Brushing alone is not enough, and it’s only through brushing and flossing that you will maintain a healthy and beautiful smile.
Many flossing options are available, including waxed, thick floss, and an assortment of flavours. Regardless of the type of floss you select, you must complete this process gently so that you don’t injure your gums.
When it comes to brushing and flossing, you not only need the proper tools, but you need to apply the proper techniques as well. Brushing and flossing will help keep your teeth and gums healthy and prevent oral health issues.
Here at Appleby Dental, we will assess your technique and will provide you with professional advice. Our dentists will ensure you have a healthy smile, and we offer several services, including emergency treatments and teeth whitening. If you are looking for quality family dentistry in Burlington, contact our clinic today to schedule an appointment!